You probably don't realize you are using software and apps every day. Here are some examples. Do you do any of the following on your computer or mobile device?
- Watch videos or listen to music? You use a media player.
- Play games? Some games come preloaded and others are downloadable.
- Put together your resume? You may use the Illinois workNet Resume Builder or word processing software like as Microsoft Word.
- Put together a budget or track your finances? You may create a spreadsheet in a program like Microsoft Excel or budgeting software such as QuickBooks.
- Shop Online? Your web browser allows you to use the Internet.
There are a few things to consider before you download software or apps.
- Is it coming from a reliable source? Make sure the program does not have viruses or malware attached.
- Is there a cost involved? There are some legitimate word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation programs available through OpenOffice in addition to very nice products that you can purchase. Also, there are many free apps available for mobile devices.
- Does your computer meet the minimum system requirements? Make sure your operating system can run the program properly, and that you have enough memory and storage space.
Are Able To:
- Download and install software and apps.
- Enter data into a spreadsheet or database.
- Set up an email account. Email others and include an attachment(s).
- Use word processing software.
Have Basic Skills and Are Able To:
- Use productivity software such as Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Word.
- Use productivity apps such as Doodle.
- Create and edit digital communication (photos, audio, and/or video files).
Have Intermediate Skills and Are Able To (one or more of the following):
- Develop and update software and applications using Java technologies.
- Design and build secure applications.
- Understand and research capabilities of various mobile devices and aspects of over-the-air technologies.
- Deploy, configure, and migrate to Google Apps for Business and Education.