In a typical work setting, massage therapists:
- Have a high level of social contact. They work closely with clients.
- Communicate mostly by interacting in person. They also talk with clients by telephone or e-mail, but less often.
- Are responsible for the health and safety of clients.
- Often work as a team of other therapists and medical professionals.
Physical Work Conditions
- Almost always work indoors.
- Often stand for long periods of time.
- Come into close physical contact with clients and patients.
- Must be exact in their work and be sure all details are done. Errors could endanger patients' health.
- Often repeat the same physical activities.
- Regularly make decisions that affect their clients and their business' reputation. They usually don't consult anyone before deciding a course of action.
- Determine most of their daily tasks and goals independently.
- [ More ]
- Work in a moderately competitive atmosphere, where they compete for clients.
- Often work part time. Most average about 25 hours per week.
- May have a flexible schedule.
- May travel to different locations for work.
- May work evenings and weekends.