In a typical work setting, counter attendants:
- Have a high level of social interaction with customers and coworkers.
- Are responsible for the health and safety of others. They must follow safe food handling rules.
- Are sometimes placed in conflict situations where customers might become unpleasant or angry.
- Work as part of a team that serves customers.
- [ More ]
- Often use the telephone to take customer's orders.
Physical Work Conditions
- Usually work indoors. Sometimes prepare and serve food outdoors.
- Sometimes wear a special uniform.
- Are sometimes exposed to hazardous situations when working in the kitchen. They may work near stoves, ovens, and hot grease. They may use knives and slicing machines.
- Work very near other people and have little space between self and others.
- Must be exact in taking orders and packaging food. Mistakes result in unhappy customers.
- Must sometimes meet strict deadlines.
- Can make some decisions and set some tasks without talking to a supervisor.
- Make decisions that affect others on a weekly basis.
- [ More ]
- Make decisions that strongly impact the image of their employer.
- Often work part time, but may work full time.
- May work days, evenings, or weekends.